When a mine unearths one 160-plus ct. diamond, that is a rare and welcome event. But Gem Diamonds recently hit the double jackpot by finding two. 

At the end of January, the London-based miner discovered a 162.06 ct. Type II diamond and a 161.74 ct. Type I diamond at its Letšeng mine in Lesotho.

A press release described them both as “exceptional” and in “largely undamaged condition,” but a company spokeswoman did not want to venture a guess as to their quality.

“As the diamonds are to be tendered in Antwerp next week, it would be very misleading of me to make any comments with respect to what we regard the clarity and color to be,” says investment relations manager Sherryn Tedder. “Each buyer gets the opportunity to examine the diamonds on tender to make up their own minds as to what they believe the diamond to be worth and to make an offer accordingly.”

She did note, however that “generally an exceptional Type II diamond from Letšeng will result in top color and clarity polished stones.”

“In May 2013, we sold an ‘exceptional’ 164 ct. for $9 million (or $54,911 per carat),” she adds. “Historically, Type II’s from Letšeng have resulted in D IF polished stones.”

And she adds that the “Type I diamond will not fetch quite the same high price as the Type II. However, it is still a very exceptional diamond in terms of its size.”

As Tedder notes, these are not the first impressive, or large, stones found at Letšeng. In September, a 12 ct. piece of blue rough was discovered, and in August 2011 it produced the 550 ct. Letšeng Star.

Gem Diamonds acquired Letšeng, which was operated by De Beers from 1977 to 1982, in 2006. It is currently run as a joint venture between Gem Diamonds, which owns 70 percent of the project, and the Government of the Kingdom of Lesotho, which owns the remaining 30 percent.

Another view of the Type II.

Posted by the JCK Online, 2-13-14, Image Credits: JCK online

Shop the Deleuse Design Collective

Previous Article Next Article
“Janet, thank-you for everything you do. As I said before, you are truly an artist, and that is why it is so special buying jewelry from you.” Peter, Atlanta, GA

” Beauty, exquisite design, pleasant and personalized attention. These qualities have been constant in our 20 years of shopping with Janet and Jeff Deleuse – Two exceptionally talented and caring people. The Best!’ Helen P.,Belvedere

"This store has a very pleasant environment and Jeff and Janet are both kind, wonderful people. I used Jeff a few times for appraisals and he was very thorough and was happy to answer lots of questions. He uses scientific methods and tests rather than going solely by appearance as some jewelers will try to do, and his expertise is well respected. On one occasion, he even went out of his way to help expedite a deal for me. He has my highest recommendation. Suzanne T., San Rafael, CA

“Jeff is an incredible gemologist who knows everything there is to know about gem stones. He is a true professional and can be trusted. The quality of their work is impeccible and always consistent. I would recommend Deleuse Jewelers to anyone looking for a new, “bauble,” for themselves or someone special!” Terri B., Ross

"I have used Deleuse Jewelers for many years - for everything from purchasing jewelry to repairing jewelry to getting appraisals on jewelry. Their service and work is superb. I highly recommend them." Suzanne S., Tiburon, CA

"I purchased this beautiful chain from Janet Deleuse about 3 weeks ago. It was an online purchase so I was hoping I would be pleased. It exceeded my expectations as it was exactly as pictured. Delicate and perfectly crafted. Packing was very secure and shipping was quick. I would not hesitate to purchase from Deleuse again! Michele, New Jersey

“Janet and Jeff designed and crafted our wedding rings and did a great job. They worked with existing diamonds we had in an antique ruby cocktail ring, added the sapphire stone and made a beautiful pendant with the ruby. In addition, they designed earrings for our daughters. All are still in great shape today. They are easy to work with and very reliable and trustworthy.” Peg M., San Anselmo

Accreditation includes diplomas from the Gemological Institute of America and the American Gem Society and thirty years of experience.

Recently Viewed